[Advertising: Affiliate Links]
Last weekend I attended our regular vegan pot luck brunch at Underground in Wuppertal. It’s been a while since I last been there. This time I brought wild garlic pull-apart bread and these mocha cupcakes.
If you like sweets, that aren’t too sweet and you are a coffee addict, you are gonna love these cupcakes! The cake part is made with a lot of cocoa powder and coffee and the buttercream frosting on top is made with espresso.
The final touch is a coffee bean, that I covered with dark chocolate and put on top of the frosting. I’d loved to use mocha beans instead, but couldn’t find any without shellac.
Have fun baking these cupcakes!
- 240 ml (1 cup) soy milk
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 80 ml (1/3 cup) neutral tasting oil
- 160 g (3/4 cup) sugar
- 180 g (1 cup) white flour - spelt or wheat
- 25 g (1/4 cup) cocoa powder
- 2 tbsp instant coffee, freeze-dried
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 150 ml (2/3 cup) water
- 2 sticks (each 1,8 g) instant espresso powder - alternative 2 tbsp instant coffee
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp flour
- 150 g (5.3 oz) vegan butter
- 1 tbsp powdered sugar
- 2 pieces dark chocolate
- 1 tbsp coffee beans
- Preheat the oven to 180° C (360° F), equip a muffin pan with paper liners. Melt the chocolate for the chocolate coffee beans and mix with the beans. Push each bean off the spoon on a sheet of parchment paper and let dry.
- In a big bowl whisk soy milk and apple cider vinegar and let curdle for about 5 minutes. Add sugar, vanilla extract and oil and whisk for 1 minute until foamy.
- Lay a sieve over the bowl and measure the dry ingredients in it, then sieve over the wet ingredients and mix briefly. If there are only a few lumps left, it is perfect, don't overmix.
- Pour the batter evenly up to 3/4 high in the cupcake liners. This works best with an ice cream scoop with ejection function or when you pour the batter in a freezer bag, cut off a corner and pipe it in the paper liners.
- Bake in the oven for about 18 - 23 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean. Let cool for 5 minutes in the muffin pan, then remove and let cool completely on a cooling rack.
- For the frosting combine water, coffee, sugar and flour in a pot and bring to boil. Let simmer for 1 - 2 minutes, then pour in a bowl and cover the pudding with clingfilm to prevent it from getting a skin. Put it directly on the pudding, not on top of the bowl.
- Let pudding and butter get room temperature. Then beat butter and powdered sugar 3 - 4 minutes until fluffy, then beat in the pudding one tablespoon after another and beat until it is really fluffy. This will take a couple of minutes.
- Spread the buttercream on the cupcakes with a knife or fill the buttercream in a piping bag and pipe on the cupcakes. Add a chocolate coffee bean on top.