[Advertising: Affiliate Links]
Oh, my colleagues were happy when I brought three different cupcakes instead of simple cake to a meeting. I made simple chocolate and vanilla cupcakes and these cinnamon and plum filled gingerbread cupcakes with a mulled wine buttercream frosting and mulled wine jelly hearts. (What a name!)
The basic recipe is my chocolate cupcake recipe with additional gingerbread seasoning in the batter. I filled them with a simple filling made from plums and cinnamon. The frosting is a mulled wine buttercream. I piped it on with a Wilton 1M tip.
I bet the cupcakes will be great on your Christmas coffee party! Have fun baking them!
- 240 ml (1 cup) soy milk
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 80 ml (1/3 cup) neutral tasting oil
- 160 g (3/4 cup) sugar
- 180 g (1 cup) flour
- 25 g (1/4 cup) cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tsp gingerbread seasoning
- 16 halved plums, canned - or 8 cooked plums
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 180 ml (3/4 cup) mulled wine
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp corn starch
- 150 g ( 5.3 oz) vegan butter
- 1 tbsp powdered sugar
- 200 ml (2/3 cup plus 1 tbsp) mulled wine
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp agar agar
- Preheat the oven to 180° C (360° F), equip a muffin pan with paper liners.
- In a big bowl whisk soy milk and apple cider vinegar and let curdle for about 5 minutes. Add sugar and oil and whisk for 1 minute until foamy.
- Lay a sieve over the bowl and measure the dry ingredients in it, then sieve over the wet ingredients and mix briefly. If there are only a few lumps left, it is perfect, don't overmix.
- Pour the dough evenly in the cupcake liners. This works best with an ice cream scoop with ejection function or when you pour the batter in a freezer bag, cut off a corner and pipe it in the paper liners.
- Bake in the oven for about 18 - 23 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean. Let cool for 5 minutes in the muffin pan, then remove and let cool completely on a cooling rack.
- While the cupcakes are baking and cooling make the frosting, the filling and the jelly hearts.
- For the frosting mix the mulled wine, sugar and corn starch and bring to boil. Let simmer for 1 - 2 minutes, then pour into a bowl and cover the pudding with clingfilm to prevent it from getting a skin. Put it directly on the pudding, not on top of the bowl.
- For the jelly hearts mix mulled wine, sugar and agar agar and bring to boil. Let cook for 2 minutes and then pour into a chocolates mold. Let firm in the fridge for about an hour.
- For the filling blend plums, sugar and cinnamon until smooth.
- For the frosting let pudding and butter get room temperature. Then beat butter and powdered sugar 3 - 4 minutes until fluffy, then beat in the pudding one tablespoon after another and beat until it is really fluffy. This takes a couple of minutes.
- Make a small hole into the muffins and fill them with each one teaspoon of the filling. Put some dough on top to seal it, pour the buttercream into a piping bag and pipe on the cupcakes. Garnish each cupcake with one jelly heart.
If the buttercream curdles, beat it again with two tablespoons of hot coconut oil. This way it will become smooth again.