A couple of days ago I bought a beautiful and fresh organic head of cauliflower and I wanted to make something else than cauliflower steaks. So I decided to make this spicy casserole that my mom used to make when I was a child (it was non-vegan though).
Besides cauliflower you’ll need half a bunch green onions, TVP mince and tomato paste. I made a kind of béchamel for baking over. For that I mixed soy milk with a couple of spices and tapioka flour and then cooked it until it thickened.
When you remove the casserole from the oven, it will a little runny, but it firms while cooling down. I like it best once cooled down and then reheated.
Make sure to season your sauce well, because the cauliflower is unseasoned and this combo is really great! I cook the cauliflower in my microwave. To do so wash the cauliflower pieces and put them wet in a microwave-safe pot and cover. Put on high power and cook for 2 Minutes. Then toss and cook for another 1 – 3 minutes, depending on the power of your microwave.
If you don’t have a microwave oven or you don’t want to use it, you can also steam the cauliflower or cook it in water.
- 1/2 bunch green onions
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 cup (240 ml) TVP mince
- 4 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 cups (500 ml) water
- 1 - 1 1/2 tbsp instant vegetable broth
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1/4 tsp agave nectar
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) soy milk
- 1 tbsp tapioka flour - alternative corn starch
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast flakes
- 1 tsp mustard
- 1/4 - 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1 small head cauliflower
- Cut the green onions in rings, press the garlic and cut the cauliflower into bite-sized pieces. Either cook the cauliflower in the microwave (see notes) or in water.
- Heat the oil in a big pan and sauté the onions and garlic. Then add the TVP mince and tomato paste and stir well. Let brown for a couple of minutes, then deglaze with water and add the spices. Let simmer for about 10 minutes.
- While the mince sauce is cooking, shake all the ingredients for the white sauce until combined, pour into a small pot and bring to boil while stirring. Let simmer for 1 - 2 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 200° (390° F). Pour the mince sauce into a casserole, arrange the cauliflower on it and drizzle over the white sauce. Bake in the oven for about 30 minutes until golden.