If you like sushi and want to do it at home, but you are not that talented to get the rolls in the right shape or if you simply just don’t feel like standing in your kitchen rolling up all the ingredients, this sushi bowl is just right for you.
It contains all the important ingredients for vegan sushi: sticky rice, nori, cucumber, avocado and carrots. To make them taste like the perfect sushi, there are soy sauce, pickled ginger and wasabi for the right flavor. I mixed the wasabi with mayo to make it a little less spicy.
On the pictures below you see how you make an avocado rose. First cut the avocado in half, pit it and remove the skin. Then cut it in thin slices and push them apart to a long, thin string. Then roll up from one side to the other and bend the slices a little to open the rose. With a big knife or a cake lifter you can pick it up and place it in your bowl without mashing it.
Before you eat the bowl, drizzle over the soy sauce and wasabi mayo and mix the nori pieces with the rice to make them soft.
You want more bowl inspiration? Also try my spring bowl, autumn bowl, winter bowl, bowl with fried oyster mushrooms and tahini dressing, sushi bowl, bowl with peanut tofu and bowl with “fried chicken” cauliflower and Caesar dressing.
- 1 cup sushi rice
- 2 cups water
- 2 tbs rice vinegar
- 1 tsp agave nectar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 carrot
- 1/2 cucumber
- 2 sheets nori
- 1 avocado
- 2 tbs pickled ginger
- 4 tbs soy sauce
- 2 tsp sesame
- 2 tsp mayo
- 1/2 tsp wasabi
- 1 dash lemon juice
- Pour rice and water in a pot and cook it firm to the bite. Mix rice vinegar, agave nectar and salt and combine with the rice, let cool down.
- Slice the carrot and cucumber with a potato peeler from four sides to create long, thin slices. Cut the nori sheets with scissors in small pieces or strips.
- Cut the avocado in half, pit it and remove the skin. Cut into small slices. Push the slices apart to a long, thin string and roll it up from one side to the other. Drizzle with some lemon juice.
- Combine the mayo and the wasabi until homogenous. Season to taste with lemon juice and pour in a small bowl. Also pour the soy sauce in a small bowl.
- Arrange the rice in two bowls and sprinkle over some sesame. Arrange the other ingredients in a round on the rice. Pick up the avocado rose with a big knife and place it on the rice, too.
- Serve with soy sauce and wasabi mayo.