[Advertising: Affiliate Links]
Pizza is definitely one of my favorite dishes. Depending on personal preferences, everybody can prepare a pizza to their taste. But they all have one thing in common: a crispy crust. To make a homemade pizza with a crust as crispy as the crust of a pizza made in a stone oven, you’ll need heat. Much heat. I heat up my oven to at least 250° C (480° F) and heat up a pizza tray with that. So your pizza gets a good heatstroke when it goes into the oven.To get your pizza in the oven, you should fix it on a sheet of parchment paper. Also a cake lifter can be handy, but isn’t essential.
To make the asparagus season count and savor it until the last spear, I prepared my pizza with asparagus this time. I used a potato peeler to finely slice the asparagus and mixed it with red onions. To avoid the asparagus from burning in the oven, you marinate it in some olive oil, before arranging it on your pizza.
Much better than a tomato sauce is a white sauce with asparagus.
A white sauce made from cashews and garlic. You’ll need soaked cashews for the sauce. If you possess a high speed blender, the time your yeast dough needs to rise, is just fine to soak the cashews. If you don’t have a high speed blender, you can soak your cashews a couple of hours ahead or use cashew butter instead.Enjoy your pizza!
Looking for more pizza inspiration? Then also try pizza with my beloved vegan pizza cheese, eggplant pizza, pumpkin pizza, quick wrap pizza, wintry pizza boats, pizza wheels with wind garlic and mushrooms and tart flambée pizza wheels.
- 125 g (3/4 cup) spelt flour
- 1 tsp dry active yeast
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) water, lukewarm
- 75 g (1/2 cup) cashews - alternative 4 tbs cashew butter
- 125 ml (1/2) water
- 1 tbs nutritional yeast
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 pinch smoked paprika
- 1/2 bunch green Asparagus - about 9 oz
- 1/2 red onion
- 1 tsp olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 50° C (120° F) and turn it off. Put the cashews in a bowl, pour over boiling water and put them in the oven to let them soak.
- Mix the ingredients for the dough and knead thoroughly for at least 5 minutes. Put in a bowl, cover with a kitchen towel and put in the oven as well. Jam a wooden spoon in the door and let the dough rise for about 30 - 45 minutes.
- Meanwhile cut off the wooden ends of the asparagus and finely slice it with a potato peeler. Finely slice the onion. Mix the asparagus and onion with oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Once the dough has risen, on a piece of parchment paper use your hands to form a pizza. Preheat the oven to 250° C (480° F). Add a pizza or baking tray on the lowest rack and heat up as well.
- Meanwhile drain the cashews and blend with the other ingredients for the sauce in a blender until creamy. Pour into a sauce pan and and let it thick on medium heat while stirring. Spread on your pizza, but leave the edges (about an inch) clean.
- Pour over the asparagus and onion slices on your pizza and bake in the oven for about 10 -12 minutes. Sprinkle with black pepper before serving.