You like it sweet, but not too sweet? Then this chocolate dark beer cake is just right for you! Because of the dark beer it is less sweet than other chocolate cakes.
Instead of serving it with whipped cream, I served it with braised prunes. Their sweet and sour note are perfect with the chocolate dark beer cake.
If you want to make the cake without the prunes, I recommend you glaze it with chocolate. Here’s a recipe for it: chocolate glaze.
Have fun baking and enjoy!
- 220 g (7.7 oz) flour
- 30 g (1 oz) corn starch
- 40 g (1.4 oz) cocoa powder
- 140 g (4.9 oz) sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 250 ml (1 cup) dark beer
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) neutral-tasting oil
- 4 hands full fresh prunes
- a little bit of water
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 180° C (360° F), grease a loaf pan (20 cm - 8 in).
- Combine all dry ingredients with a whisk in a bowl, add beer and oil and briefly mix. Pour into the loaf pan and bake for 45 minutes (until a toothpick comes out clean). Cut lengthwise with a knife after 10 minutes of baking, to make it rise centered. Let cool for 10 minutes in the pan, then remove and let cool completely on a cooling rack.
- De-seed the prunes and cut them into eights. Bring to boil with a little bit of water in a pot and braise for about 10 minutes until soft. Add the cinnamon and serve with the cake.