[Advertising: Affiliate Links]
When I told my colleagues, that I wanted to make beetroot pesto with garlic and mint, I got some expressions that were between disgust and lack of understanding. Garlic with mint and beetroot?
Oh yes. At least in my mind, I thought this would taste great. So I got in the kitchen and tried it. It turned out to be as delicious as I thought. To spice the pesto up, I added nutritional yeast flakes and lemon juice and seasoned well with salt and pepper.
I served the pesto with black rice noodles, that I bought in a whole foods market some time ago. To mix the noodles and the pesto easier, add some of the boiling water and thin the pesto a bit.
- 150 g (1 1/2 medium) beetroot bulbs
- 1 clove garlic
- 60 g (4 tbsp) oil
- 30 g (3 tbsp) walnuts
- 20 g (2 tbsp) lemon juice
- 5 g ( 1 tbsp) nutritional yeast flakes
- 5 g (1 tsp) salt
- 1 stem mint - about 10 big leaves
- Peel the beetroot and cook until firm to the bite. It doesn't matter if you cook it in water, steam it or cook it in the microwave.
- Put all ingredients in a chopper or blender and process until finely chunky. Season to taste with lemon juice, salt and pepper.
- If you want to have the pesto with noodles, mix it with a bit of the boiling water, so it is easier to mix with the noodles.