[Advertising: Affiliate Links]
Ohhhh, how delicious these quesadillas were! Spicy soya shreds and melting cashew cheese result in this tasty snack. If you want to make them a main dish, serve them with a mixed green salad with a vinaigrette dressing.I baked the quesadillas in my contact grill. If you don’t have one, you can fry them in a pan on both sides to melt the cheese.
As an alternative to the soya shreds I have also already eaten the quesadillas with mushrooms and spinach. Just pour the uncooked vegetables on top of the cheese and bake them along.Also try Lebanese flatbread instead of the tortillas. I tend to like it even more. And also the ingredient list speaks for the flat bread. However I used multigrain tortillas in this recipe, since you can get them in almost every supermarket.
- 70 g (2.5 oz) cashews
- 200 ml (3/4 cup plus 1 tbsp) water
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast flakes
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp agave nectar
- 1 tbsp ground psyllium husks
- 75 g (2.65 oz) soya shreds
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 spring onion
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp smoked hot paprika
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp agave nectar
- 2 large wheat tortillas
- For the cashew cheese mix all ingredients, except for the ground psyllium husks, in a high speed blender for about a minute until smooth. Then add the psyllium husks and blend again a couple of seconds. If you don't have a high speed blender you'll have to soak the cashews in water for about 2 hours, to blend them smoothly. Or use store-bought cashew butter. Pour the cheese in an airtight container and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- To prepare the soya shreds. Put them in a bowl and pour over boiling water. Let it soak for 10 minutes. Then drain and rinse thoroughly and squeeze the water out of it.
- Slice the spring onion and chop the garlic. Preheat your contact grill.
- Pour the soha shreds in a pan without oil and allow them to vaporize excess water for about 3 minutes. Then add the oil and spring onions. Sautée for about 2 minutes. Add the garlic and briefly sautée it. Deglaze the shreds with soy sauce and season with paprika, cumin, agave nectar, salt and pepper.
- On one half of the tortillas spread the cashew cheese generously. On the other half spread the soya shreds. Fold the tortillas and bake them in the contact grill until crispy. Quarter the quesadillas and arrange them on a plate.