[Advertising: Affiliate Links]
Do you know jackfruit? I have never seen it fresh, but several times canned in the asian supermarket. There you can buy the yellow ripe jackfruit frozen or canned in syrup.
For this recipe you need the young, green jackfruit. You can also buy it in the asian supermarket. It is marinated in brine and canned. The barbecue sauce fits the pulled jackfruit perfectly. It is really delicious, I could melt away. Let it simmer while the potatoes are baking. So everything is done at the same time. You will only need a part of the sauce. Pour the rest of the sauce hot in a clean screw top jar. It will form a vacuum and stay fresh for weeks, stored in the fridge.
The potatoes are powdered with starch and then covered in a litte oil. This combination makes them really crispy while using just a litte oil. Try it!
As a side dish, serve a salad with this meal.
Enjoy this delicious meal!
- 1 can (14 oz) green jackfruit in brine
- 1 tbs oil
- 1/2 onion, cut into stripes
- 400 ml (1 2/3 cup) tomato juice
- 2 tbs coconut sugar - alternative maple syrup
- 1 tbs maple syrup
- 2 tbs balsamic vinegar
- 1 heaped tbs apple butter - alternative sugar beet molasses
- 1 tbs tamari - alternative soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp smoked hot paprika
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp liquid smoke
- 4 dashes worcestershire sauce
- 1 pinch cilantro seeds, ground
- 1/2 onion
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tsp oil
- 450 g (16 oz) small potatoes
- 1 tbs starch
- 1 tbs oil
- Drain the jackfruit in a sieve and pull apart the slices. Rinse afterwards and let drain well.
- For the barbecue sauce finely chop the onion and garlic and sautée it in some oil in a pan. Put the onions and garlic with the other ingredients for the sauce in a blender and blend well for about 1 -2 minutes. Pour the sauce in a pot and bring to boil. Then reduce the heat and let it simmer for about 25 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Preheat the oven to 220° C (430° F).
- Quarter the potatoes lengthwise and put them and the starch in a freezing bag. Shake until every potato wedge is covered in starch. Then add the oil, salt and pepper and shake again to cover the potatoes with the oil.
- Pour the potatoes on a baking sheet covered tray and spread them. Make sure they lie on one of the cut surfaces. Bake in the oven for about 15 minutes, then turn them over to the other cut surface and bake for another 10 minutes.
- In a pan heat up the oil and fry the jackfruit for about 3 -4 minutes, then add the onion and sautée for another 2 -3 minutes. Remove the pan from the stove and stir in 4 - 6 tbs of the barbecue sauce.
- Arrange the potatoes on two plates, pour over the pulled jackfruit and serve with a green salad.