[Advertising: Affiliate Links]
What would the fall be without plum cake? Only half as nice, that’s my opinion. This super-easy tray-baked cake reminds me of my childhood, because my mom used to make it. It is very easily and quickly made and tastes wonderful fruity and juicy. Some might use less plums for the cake, but I like it, when the plums overlap and thus make the cake even more fruity. You can also make a tray-baked plum cake with yeast dough. But if you don’t have that much time on your hands to let the dough rise, this quark oil dough is a perfect alternative.
I cut the plums with a cross-cut. To make it, place the knife on top of the fruit and then cut cross-wise till you hit the pit. Do so on the bottom as well and then connect them with one cut along the side of the plum. Now you can open it and remove the pit.
Bevor I bake the cake, I sprinkle some cinnamon and sugar over the cake to make it irresistible.
Serve the cake with a dab of vegan whipped cream. You can store left-over cake in your freezer, it tastes still wonderful after de-frosting.
- 325 g (11.5 oz) white flour - spelt or wheat
- 75 g (2.6 oz) sugar
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 125 g (4.4 oz) vegan quark - Provamel for example
- 100 ml (1/3 cup) non-dairy milk
- 100 ml (1/3 cup) neutral tasting oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract - alternative 1/4 tsp ground vanilla
- 1500 g (53 oz) plums
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- Pit the plums using a cross-cut: Cut cross-wise on the top and bottom of the fruit until you hit the pit, then connect the crosses with a cut along the fruit, as shown on the pictures. Open the plum and remove the pit. Preheat the oven to 180° C (360° F).
- Knead all ingredients until a smooth dough forms. Pour on a sheet of parchment paper, drizzle with flour and roll out the dough to the size of a baking tray. Then place on it and garnish with the plums. Press them a little in the dough.
- Combine cinnamon and sugar and sprinkle over the cake. Bake in the oven for about 40 minutes, until the edges turn brown. Let cool on the baking tray, then cut into 20 pieces.
- Serve with vegan whipped cream.