[Advertising: Affiliate Links]
It’s time to harvest the fennel in my kitchen garden. And of course they are all big enough now. I like fennel best steamed or as a salad with an orange vinaigrette.
But if have to eat a lot of fennel in a short time, you have to think of something new. So I experimented with pasta squares and out came this delicious meal. There’s not only creamed fennel in this recipe, but the pasta squares are filled with it.
Since I am a huge fan of cashew cream, I used it to cream the fennel. To spice things up, I added Sambal Oelek. The chili also helps to moderate the intensive taste of the fennel, but still fits perfectly. If you don’t like fennel at all, you can also use kohlrabi to make this dish. That tastes great, too.
- 250 g (8.8 oz) flour - spelt or wheat or 2/3 flour and 1/3 semolina
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) water
- 1/2 bulb fennel
- 1/2 small onion
- 1 small garlic clove
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 tbs lemon juice
- 1 tbs nutritional yeast flakes
- 1 tsp instant vegetable stock
- 50 g (1/3 cup) cashews
- 250 ml (1 cup) water
- 1 tsp Sambal Oelek
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 1/2 bulbs fennel
- 1 tbs olive oil
- In a bowl combine flour, salt and water and knead well for about 5 minutes, if you use a machine or 10 minutes, when you knead with your hands. Wrap in clingfilm and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Finely chop the fennel in a food processor. Also finely chop onion and garlic. Heat the olive oil in a pan and sautée onions and garlic. Add the fennel and fry for about 2 - 3 minutes. Season with lemon juice, yeast flakes, pepper and instant veggie stock.
- Remove the dough from the fridge, cut in half and roll on the dusted counter until it is very thin. On the first piece pour a teaspoon full of the fennel and place it on the dough, leaving some space between the fennel heaps. Cover with the second piece of dough and press it on. Either use a pastry wheel or a pasta stamp to cut the pasta squares. Let them simmer in salted water for about 15 minutes.
- In the meantime cut the fennel in thin strips and fry in some oil. Grind the cashews and mix with the other ingredients until smooth. Pour over the fennel and stir while it's getting creamy. Arrange on plates.
- Fry the pasta squares in some oil for 2 - 3 minutes and dress on the creamed fennel. Sprinkle with some salt and chili flakes.