Two or three years ago I saved the recipe for vegan coconut macaroons by Isa Chandra Moskowitz and a few days ago it fell into my hands again. I had to finally try it. My family and I loved it, so I will share it with you.
The macaroons are easy and fast to make. To avoid them from getting too hard, store them in an airtight container instead of a metal one.
- 3 oz silken tofu
- 1/3 cup neutral-tasting oil
- 2 tbsp soy milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup flour
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate
- Preheat the oven to 180° C (360° F), line two baking trays with parchment paper.
- In a blender mix silken tofu, oil and soy milk until smooth. Stir in the rest of the ingredients until a sticky dough forms.
- Drop the dough on the baking trays with two teaspoons and bake in the oven for 12 - 14 minutes, until the edges brown. Remove from the oven and let cool on a cooling rack.
- When the macaroons are cold, melt the chocolate (in a double boiler or carefully (!) in the microwave), dip in the bottom of the macaroons and return them on the parchment paper.
- Store the macaroons in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.