[Advertising: Affiliate Links]
Is there something better, than to come home on a Sunday afternoon, after a long walk, to eat some warm, steaming waffles? No? I didn’t think so. When they are served with hot cherries and whipped cream, I’m in heaven.
To make these waffles I used a waffle maker for Belgium waffles. But you can use any kind of waffle iron that you have around.
To make the waffles crispy and not stick to the iron, make sure to grease your waffle maker with some vegan butter or coconut oil. Don’t use oil, that will make them stick and tear apart when you open the iron. It is important to heat up your waffle maker until it’s really hot. Also let it heat up again before baking the next waffle.
Let the batter rest for a while and then pour it into your waffle maker. Make sure you fill up the bottom plate to result even waffles without holes.
It takes about 4 – 5 minutes to bake the waffles. Prepare the cherries and whipped cream while you wait.
In spring I like to bake in an umbel of elderflower in each waffle and drizzle them with elderflower syrup before I eat them.
- 200 ml (3/4 cup plus 1 tbs) soy milk
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 small banana, about 50 g (1.8 oz)
- 150 g (5.3 oz) white flour - spelt or wheat
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 pinch vanilla
- vegan butter to grease the waffle maker
- 2 handful frozen cherries
- 2 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp agave nectar or maple syrup
- 1 tsp starch
- 1 tsp rum or a few drops rum flavor - optional
- 1/4 pk. vegan cream
- 1 pinch vanilla
- For the waffles prepare a buttermilk. Stir in the apple cider vinegar in the soy milk and let it curdle for about 2 Minutes. Then add the banana and purée in a blender until smooth. In a bowl combine the dry ingredients, pour over the banana milk and whisk until just combined. Don't overmix or the waffles turn out rubbery. Let it rest for about 10 minutes.
- While you heat up your waffle maker prepare the cherries. Combine water, agave nectar, rum and starch and add the cherries. Bring to boil, let it boil for 1 - 2 minutes and set aside.
- Bake the waffles one after another and let them cool on a rack to keep them crispy. While the waffles are baking, whip the cream and keep in in the fridge until serving.
- Put the waffles on plates, pour over the hot cherries and drop a spoonful of whipped cream on top.
And with those, I have a cup of cappuccino.