[Advertising: Affiliate Links]
Have you ever tried savory porridge? As I walked around in a store a couple of days ago I spotted a box for savory porridge, I made a face and didn’t give it much thought. This was probably because I don’t buy mush mixes or other food mixes (way too expensive and unnecessary ingredients…) and also I couldn’t imagine this slimy texture in savory.
Two days later it hit me again and I was curious. So I got into my kitchen and made a savory porridge. Onions and veggie stock instead of milk and cinnamon. And instead of fruit I used tomatoes, mushrooms and spinach. The result was so yummy, that I wrote down the recipe for you.
If you like the combination of tomatoes, mushrooms and spinach also try this pasta!
Have fun trying a savory porridge!
You have a sweet tooth? Then try my chocolate porridge with peanut butter and banana, porridge with blueberries, warming apple pie porridge with glazed almonds and crunchy millet porridge with rhubarb blueberry compote.
- 1 tsp oil
- 1/2 small onion
- 1 handful cherry tomatoes
- 1 handful mushrooms
- 50 g (1/2 cup) oats
- 250 ml (1 cup) vegetable broth
- 1 handful spinach
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast flakes
- 1 dash lemon juice
- chili flakes
- Halve the tomatoes, slice the mushrooms and wash the spinach. Dice the onion and keep all ingredients handy.
- Heat the oil in a deep pan and sauté the onions in it. Add the tomatoes and fry for 2 minutes. Then add oats, broth and mushrooms and let boil for 3 minutes while stirring. Add the spinach, stir in and let wilt.
- Season the porridge with nutritional yeast flakes, salt and a dash of lemon juice. Arrange in a bowl and sprinkle chili flakes over.
I made the porridge in my new wok pan, which I love.