[Advertising: Affiliate Links]
I knew fennel only raw as a salad or cooked with white sauce. So it was about time, that I tried to make fennel in the oven. I drizzled the bulbs with oil and seasoned them with salt, cumin and smoked paprika powder. Then baked it in the oven until firm to the bite, but done.
As a contrast I served the fennel with a salsa made with sweet cherry tomatoes, spicy harissa paste and fresh mint. The salsa is served cold with the hot fennel bulbs.
If you are looking for a low carb dinner, just eat it, as it is. If you need a filling side, I recommend you to make rice or other cooked grains.
- 2 fennel bulbs
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- smoked paprika powder
- 3 hands full cherry tomatoes
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp harissa paste
- 1/2 tsp agave nectar
- 1 tbsp fresh mint, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 180° C (360° F). Halve the fennel bulbs, put in a baking dish (maybe cut off a bit to make them lay better) and drizzle with olive oil. Season well with salt, cumin and smoked paprika and bake in the oven for 30 - 40 minutes, depending on the size of the fennel.
- In the meantime make the salsa. Halve the cherry tomatoes and push out the seeds with your thumb. Finely chop the tomatoes and mix with the rest of the ingredients, set aside.
- Remove the fennel from the oven and arrange on two plates. Pour over the salsa and serve with our without rice or cooked grains.