[Advertising: Affiliate Links]
Quick: What is the first thing you think about when you hear “pearl barley”? Soup right? The small, pearled barley grains taste great in so many other variations than just in the soup.
For example as a salad with spinach, dill and braised tomatoes. This salad is spring-fresh and yet filling. If you want it to be even more filling and richer in protein, you can add lentils to the barley and cook them together.
Simply adjust the dressing to your taste in order to estimate the quantities.
And now: Enjoy it!
- Wash the pearl barley thoroughly and bring to a boil with 2 cups of water and half a lemon sliced. Add a pinch of salt and cook according to the time indicated on the packaging.
- Preheat the oven to 180 °C (360 °F).
- Place the tomatoes in a baking dish, drizzle with a little olive oil, season with salt and pepper. Bake in the oven for about 15 minutes until the tomatoes have popped open.
- For the first few minutes, add the hazelnuts to the oven to roast them. Then let cool and roughly chop.
- Coarsely chop the spinach and finely chop the dill. Crumble the vegan feta alternative with a fork.
- Rinse the pearl barley under running water to get rid of the starch. Then mix in a bowl with the spinach, dill, hazelnuts and a dressing made from olive oil, herb vinegar, salt and pepper.
- Season to taste with a dash of lemon juice and divide between two plates. Sprinkle with the vegan feta and place a tomato panicle on top.