[Advertising: Affiliate Links]
I must confess: I’m have a sweet tooth. And no day goes by that I don’t eat something sweet. My favorites are chocolaty or fruity. Or even better: a combination of these two. I’d die for chocolate with cherries or oranges. The sweet and intense flavor of a dark chocolate paired with the fruity acidity of cherries or oranges is a wonderful combination.
Have you tried energy balls yet? Those little raw balls are made from dates and nuts. To prepare them you need a food processor. When you shred dates and nuts in your food processor, a sticky mixture forms, that you can roll into balls.
Store the energy balls in the fridge to keep them in shape. This way you have a fresh and healthy snack at hand, when the sugar craving kicks in.
I most love the combination of dates, cashews, chocolate and orange. So I’m sharing the recipe of this version with you. If you aren’t into the combo chocolate-orange, omit the orange.
Enjoy your little treat!
- 80 g (3 oz) dried dates, pitted
- 80 g (3 oz) raw cashews
- 25 g (1 oz) raisins
- 15 g (1 heaped tbs) cocoa powder
- 1/2 orange, zest
- chia seeds
- chocolate sprinkles
- coconut shreds
- In a food processor shred all the ingredients for the balls until a sticky mixture forms. Depending on the dates you use, you might add 1/2 - 1 tsp water to help that.
- Take a heaped teaspoon of the mixture and roll it into a ball shape. Repeat until all the mixture is rolled.
- Toss the energy balls in chia seeds, sesame, chocolate sprinkles or coconut shreds if you like.