[Advertising: Affiliate Links]
Eggs, cheese, sometimes cream and bacon – a classic carbonara is anything but animal free. But this doesn’t mean that a delicious carbonara can’t be vegan. This is such a delicious vegan carbonara and I could take a bath in it! I have always like the kind of carbonara with cream instead of this one with beaten eggs poured over. This is the equivalent to a cream-based carbonara.
You don’t need bacon if you have smoked tofu. Instead of dairy cream I use almond cream. And to add that eggy taste I used black salt called Kala Namak. You can buy it in organic stores or online.
These spaghetti carbonara are super fast to make. The sauce is simmering while the spaghetti are boiling and when they are done it is time to eat.
Have fun cooking and enjoy!
- 60 g (6 thin slices) smoked tofu
- 1 small red onion
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tsp oil
- 40 g (3 tbsp) white almonds
- 300 ml (1 1/4 cup) water
- 1/4 tsp Kala Namak
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast flakes
- white pepper
- 2 dashes lemon juice
- 140 - 200 g (5 - 7 oz) spaghetti
- parsley - to taste
- Finely cube the smoked tofu and onion, press the garlic. Finely grind the almonds and blend with water, Kala Namak and nutritional yeast flakes until smooth.
- Cook the spaghetti in salty water. Prepare the sauce at the same time. Brown the tofu in oil until crispy, then add the onions and garlic and sauté. Deglaze with the almond cream and bring to boil. Season to taste with salt, pepper and lemon juice and let simmer until the spaghetti are done.
- Mix the noodles with the sauce and thin it with cooking water, if needed. Arrange on two plates, sprinkle parsley over and serve immediately.