[Advertising: Affiliate Links]
It is the time of the year, the time of Christmas baking. I start the season with these delicious Spitzbuben cookies. To make them you prepare a simple short pastry and let it rest for some time in the fridge.
Then roll it out and cut out each two same sized cookies and cut a hole in one of them. I used a simple round cookie cutter and a star-shaped one. The cookies in star shape are a bit difficult to get from the counter on the baking tray, but they are so cute. There are also special Spitzbuben cookie cutter so to buy.
After baking them you assemble those two with a bit of jam in between. You can dust powdered sugar on the upper cookie before assembling, that makes them even cuter.
Have fun baking these cookies!
- 250 g (8.8 oz) white flour - spelt or wheat
- 100 g (3.5 oz) powdered sugar
- 1 pinch vanilla
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 tbsp plant-based milk
- 150 g (5.3 oz) cold vegan butter
- 75 g (4 tbsp) yellow jam - apricot, apple, orange, pumpkin
- 75 g (4 tbsp) red jam - red currant, blueberry, cherry, strawberry
- powdered sugar - to taste
- In a bowl mix flour, powdered sugar, vanilla and salt. Add the plant-based milk and the vegan butter in small pieces and knead all ingredients until just combined. Wrap in foil and let rest in the fridge for at least an hour.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (360° F) and line two baking trays with parchment paper. Roll out the dough with a rolling-pin on the flour dusted counter and cut out cookies each two of the same size. Bake in the oven for 10 - 12 minutes until golden. Then remove and let cool on a cooling rack.
- If you like dust the upper cookies with powdered sugar. Heat the jam in small bowls (in the microwave) and add a teaspoon to each bottom cookie. Then cover with an upper cookie and gently press on.