[Advertising: Affiliate Links]
We can’t complain about this year’s summer. I can’t remember when it was the last time we had such sunny summer holidays. But I am worried, too, because we will have a lot of these summers in the future. A couple of days ago when my colleague asked me, if I still would take the bike to work in this heat, I answered: “Absolutely. It wouldn’t make sense to take the car now and heat up the climate even more.” I didn’t mean to be reproachful, but I meant what I said. I try to do my bit and I hope that more and more people see the irony in putting meat on the grill daily while it is getting hotter and hotter.
Today I have a cucumber salad for you. But not a classic one, but one with a kick. Asian spices mix it up and with some bread it makes a light lunch or dinner. But also as a side dish with sushi it is fantastic.
- 1 cucumber
- 1 tbsp toasted sesame oil
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1/2 tsp maple syrup
- 1/4 tsp sambal oelek or other chili sauce
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ginger
- 1 small clove garlic
- 1 tbsp peanuts
- 1 tbsp cilantro - alternatively parsley
- Peel the cucumber from all sides with a peeler. Arrange the cucumber strips on one or two plates.
- Roughly chop the peanuts and sprinkle over the cucumber.
- For the dressing grate ginger and garlic and mix with the rest of the ingredients. Drizzle over the salad and garnish with cilantro or parsley.